Wednesday, May 2, 2007

a wonderful day

I was at the Botanic Gardens yesterday for the opening of Medicines in
May. It was a beautiful day, the botanical drawings in the Gallery
were lovely, the spread of welsh cheeses, crackers and fruit was perfect.
Speeches from the New Director was made and I had a wonderful
conversation with Kristina Patmore who has created the Apothecary Garden
there.... Later I enjoyed a guided tour and talk of the Apothecary Gardens and
enjoyed talking with Gareth a historian authority on medicinal plants.

I strolled throught the wonderful apothecary shop which they have
lovingly re-created there and enjoyed peeking into the glass shelves and
much to my delight saw moulds for original I think cachous....... and
how they were made and the medicinal powders held inside. The outer
casing which was made of rice paper would be moulded then the next the
same moulded type after the powders fitted inside would be gently sealed
with water (I think it was water)....... the Apothecary shop was just
how one imagines it would be with spice drawers opening.... antique
bottles including poison on the shelves....and just outside a touch and see
about the myth and legend of the Physicians of Myddfai.

I shall be going up to Myddfai as my wish for my birthday coming up
on the 9th. I want to take in the area and look at insect and birdlife
up there. I will be going later in the month on a walk with Kristina
from the Gardens and another who is putting together a walk up to the
Llyn - y- fan - fach who is a medical herbalist........ and others. It
is quite a hike apparently and I will see the lake......plus plant
life......

Kristina left me with 4 huge piles of lemon balm which is drying
.......from the Garden.... The Myddfai section of the garden is
particularly lovely. The woodruff was out....and many plants growing happily.....
interestingly enough geranium robert which technically speaking has no
scent when curiously I rubbed the leaf it gave off a musty dusty almost
tobaccoey scent.

No comments: