Monday, June 23, 2008

calculations

It has been a while since I have posted although it doesn't mean I have abandoned the project. My life complex as it is often calls me in different directions and I must follow.

During the festival week I created some pot-pourri sashes with essences to see how it would work.. I made some small linen with pure silk linings .. filled them and stitched.. They smelt beautiful and It was a little experiment for the bigger work to come. Not necessarily using the same essences but the same ancient process. Hours later the essences had spilt into the linen making them unsaleable... a good lesson which has me thinking now.

I know how I shall approach this. The next problem is mathematical as I have to work out the height and width of the piece and work out the size of each embroidered botanic so that the piece will hold the 92 authentic botanicals that the physicians used in their healing.. I have figured out I will need to use 8 rows of 10 prob 2 rows of 11 to complete.. The spaces between each machine embroidery has to be calculated and I will use one of my experimental pieces as a guide to the size of the botanics. This will give me a projected overall size of the piece.

I knew this would take time... I am glad I have no time restrictions . I am enjoying the process and how the project is growing organically and naturally.

As far as the background blanketing I am still no nearer in making my decision.. Well a little nearer ... a light went on this evening but I shall see how that will sit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw this and I thought of your project

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=2909&post=22798&uid=2377186734#/topic.php?uid=2377186734&topic=2531